Your mattress plays a pivotal role in ensuring a good night’s sleep. However, sleeping on a brand new mattress can be somewhat uncomfortable, and it may take some time for it to fully adjust to your sleeping habits.
But worry not, as there are numerous ways to break in a new mattress and maximize its comfort.
In this article, we’ll delve into the best practices for breaking in a new mattress, so you can sleep soundly and wake up feeling refreshed every morning.
Why breaking in a new mattress is important?
First of all, let’s talk about why breaking in your mattress is so important.
A brand new mattress can feel a little stiff and uncomfortable at first, especially if you’re used to an old, worn-out mattress.
This is because the materials in a new mattress are not yet fully “broken in” and need some time to adjust to your body weight and sleeping patterns.
But fear not, breaking in your new mattress is easy and will make a world of difference in your sleeping experience. Here’s how to do it:
1. Give it time: The first thing to remember is that your new mattress needs some time to settle. You can expect it to take around 30 days for your mattress to fully break in and feel its best. So be patient and give it some time.
2. Rotate it: To help the mattress settle evenly, rotate it regularly. Most mattresses should be rotated every 3-6 months to keep them in good condition, but it can also help distribute any lumps or bumps that may have formed during shipping.
3. Sleep on it regularly: This might sound obvious, but the best way to break in your new mattress is to sleep on it regularly. You’ll want to avoid leaving it untouched for long periods of time or using a different mattress in the meantime.
4. Don’t be afraid to move around: When you first start sleeping on your new mattress, it’s normal to feel a little uncomfortable – like you’re sleeping on a cloud that hasn’t quite formed yet. But don’t be afraid to move around and change positions as you get used to it. Eventually, your mattress will mold to your body and provide the perfect level of support for your sleep style.
Breaking in your new mattress may take a little patience, but the end result is worth it. A well-broken-in mattress will provide the perfect balance of comfort and support, letting you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Here are some common mistakes to avoid:
1. Avoid jumping on the mattress
Yes, we know you’re excited about your new bed, but jumping on your new mattress can cause damage, especially if it’s a memory foam mattress. Memory foam adjusts to your body’s weight and temperature, and excessive compressions can cause damage to the foam’s structure.
2. Don’t spend too much time in one spot
It’s tempting to lounge on the new mattress, but spending too much time in one spot can cause indentations, especially on memory foam and pillow-top mattresses. We highly recommend switching up your sleeping positions and moving around frequently during the break-in period.
3. Not giving the mattress enough time to break in
Typically, new mattresses take about 30-90 days to break in fully. It’s essential during this period to use the mattress regularly to allow it to conform to your body, allowing for maximum comfort and support.
4. Not using a proper foundation
It’s essential to point out that mattresses are designed to work with a specific foundation. Using an old, worn-out foundation can shorten the lifespan of your new mattress, leading to less support and comfort.
Learn the proper way to break in your new mattress from the video below:
In summary, breaking in a new mattress takes a bit of patience, but the result is worth it, especially in the long run. Avoid the above common mistakes, take your time, and with a little TLC, you’ll be sleeping more comfortably than ever before.
Read More: Is 5 Hours Enough Sleep?
How long it takes to break in?
The time it takes to break in a new mattress depends on the type and firmness of the mattress, as well as your personal preference and sleeping habits.
However, a general rule of thumb is to give a new mattress at least 30 days before deciding if it’s comfortable or not.
Some mattresses may take up to 90 days to fully break in. During this period, you may experience some discomfort or stiffness as your body adjusts to the new surface.
Tips for Breaking in a New Mattress
The following tips will guide you through the process of breaking in your new mattress for maximum comfort.
1. Let your mattress settle – Patience is a virtue when it comes to breaking in a new mattress. Allow your mattress to settle into its normal size and shape after unboxing for at least 24 hours. This gives you a chance to exclude any possible defects and helps you get comfortable with the mattress’s cushioning and firmness sensation.
2. Remove the protective cover – You may find that your new mattress has shipped with a protective cover to prevent any damage during transportation. However, these covers can prevent a new mattress from breaking in as they restrict ventilation. Therefore, Remove the protective cover as soon as possible to allow air circulation.
3. Sleep in different positions – Try out different sleeping positions when you first lie on the new mattress. This will require you to adjust to the cushioning support for different body parts, such as your hips, shoulders, and back. Sleeping in various positions distributes your body weight evenly and allows the mattress to adjust appropriately to your individual needs.
4. Walk over the mattress – After removing the protective cover, you may unroll the mattress onto its foundation and proceed to walk over it gently. This helps to break in the foam slowly and prepares the bed for a comfortable night’s sleep.
5. Be consistent – It’s essential to use the same sleeping pattern every night to encourage the mattress to gradually conform to your body’s shape. Consistency ensures that the mattress wears evenly and that every part of the body is supported optimally.
In conclusion, when breaking in a new mattress, patience is key. The more you use your bed, the more comfortable it becomes. Remember to give your mattress some time to breathe before removing the protective cover and follow these tips to help you experience maximum comfort.
Warranty and Return Policies
First off, it’s important to know that most mattresses have a break-in period of about 30 days. During this time, you may experience some initial discomfort and adjustments as your body adapts to the new mattress.
Don’t worry, this is completely normal and a sign that your mattress is starting to mold to your body’s unique shape and position.
If, after the 30-day break-in period, you’re still not satisfied with your new mattress, it’s important to understand your warranty and return policies. Most retailers will offer a satisfaction guarantee or return policy, but it’s important to check the fine print to ensure you’re meeting the criteria for a return or exchange.
We’ve compiled the return policies and time frames for ten popular mattress brands to help you out.
|Brand||Warranty and Return Policies|
|Casper||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 nights of delivery, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Purple||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 nights of delivery, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Nectar||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 365 nights of delivery, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Tempur-Pedic||You can return your mattress within 90 days of delivery, with a return shipping fee of $175. You can also exchange your mattress for another model within 90 days, with no fees.|
|Mattress Firm||You can exchange your mattress once within 90 days of purchase, with a return delivery fee of $99.99 and a restocking fee of 10% of your original purchase price (not to exceed $250)|
|Leesa||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 nights of delivery, after a 30-night adjustment period, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Saatva||You can return your mattress for a refund within 180 nights of delivery, with a $99 transportation fee.|
|Lull||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 nights of purchase, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Tuft & Needle||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 nights of purchase, with free pickup and no fees.|
|Zinus||You can return your mattress for a full refund within 100 days of purchase if you bought it from Zinus.com or Amazon.com.|
Overall, breaking in a new mattress takes patience and time, but the end result – a comfortable night’s sleep – is worth it!
The last word
Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! Now, in order to get the most out of your investment and ensure maximum comfort, it’s important to break in your new bed properly.
Firstly, be patient. It may take some time for your new mattress to fully reach its comfort potential. Typically, it takes around 30 days to break in a new mattress.
Secondly, rotate your mattress regularly. This will prevent any uneven wear and tear that can cause discomfort.
Another tip is to use a mattress protector. This will protect your mattress from spills and stains, which can also affect its comfort.
Lastly, make sure to use a supportive foundation for your mattress. A proper foundation will provide the necessary support and help your mattress last longer.
Following these simple tips will ensure that your new mattress will offer the ultimate comfort and support for many years to come. Enjoy your well-deserved rest!