If you are reading this, then you’re probably looking for a new mattress. Below we will discuss questions to ask yourself when buying a mattress online and we will compare two budget-friendly mattresses, the Modway Jenna and the Signature Design by Ashley. Online mattress ordering can be confusing and super comfy, less-expensive mattresses are hard to find. In this article, we will help you do both. Both mattresses we discuss are available on Amazon and are highly rated. The goal of this article will help you think through what you’re looking for and potentially choose between one of these two.
Let’s dive in!
Buying a Mattress Online
Just a few years ago no one would even think about buying mattresses online. Everyone wanted to try them out and lay on them before buying. But times have changed and the options have expanded. There are many high-priced designer options out there. But what about people who cannot spend a fortune on mattresses?
Luckily retailers like Amazon sell many mattresses and display hundreds of reviews for you to see. In some ways, those reviews are more helpful than laying on the mattress for a couple of minutes before making the decision.
So, what should you know when you order a mattress online?
- Firm vs Soft: Do you have a preference for firmer mattresses or softer mattresses? Neither one is necessarily better, but people have different preferences depending on their weight, age, and potential back issues. If you have back issues, it is generally recommended to get a mattress on the firmer side of the spectrum. However, many side sleepers prefer a softer mattress as it helps provide space for shoulders and hips. One thing to keep in mind: firm and soft are somewhat subjective. Companies vary in how they rate their firmness. When you read reviews, you will see one person calling the mattress way too firm and another saying it is way too soft. Keep in mind the context of what the reviews tell you – reviewers with bad backs will say something is too soft, while another person who sleeps on the side will tell you it is too hard. Think about how you sleep when you read the reviews.
- Price: How much do you want to spend and how long will the mattress last? Knowing your budget will help you narrow down the options.
- Reviews: Only positive or only negative reviews may be a warning sign of skewed reviews or a bad product. If a product has lots of reviews across the positivity/negativity spectrum, they are more trustworthy. You probably want to choose a product with the vast majority of reviews falling into four and five stars.
- Longevity: Sometimes you will see reviews praising a product when it’s new, only to describe the issues after a year or so. Warranties are good signs of how long the manufacturer thinks the product will last. Keep in mind that when you purchase a mattress you will likely have it for several years.
- Hypoallergenic or not: If you have allergies, asthma, or any related issues, you may want to look for a mattress that addresses those needs.
- When you buy the mattress online it will need time to “decompress” when it arrives. It arrives compressed in a box. When you take it out, plan on letting it sit for a couple of days. During this time, everything inside the mattress will slowly expand and adjust to your home’s temperature and humidity. Know that it may have a bit of a material odor to it, and give it a chance (1-2 days) to dissipate before putting sheets on.
Product 1 Overview: Modway Jenna
The Modaway Jenna is designed to provide comfort and ease for high cost and low value. The individually wrapped coils and layers of foam are designed to reduce pressure on your hips and neck. Because the coils are each individually wrapped, the motion should be isolated. So, if one person on the bedrolls around at night, the other person won’t feel it very much. It is carefully designed with several layers of comfort. At the bottom of the mattress are the individually wrapped coils, a felt liner, an egg crate foam, and a responsive layer of foam. These two foam top layers help give it a comfortable “pillow-top” feel.
- The Modway way Jenna is available in several sizes: Narrow Twin, Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
- The outer fabric is made of 100% Polyester.
- Inside are several layers designed to create maximum comfort. Individually wrapped coils provide stability while memory foam, egg-crate foam, and additional padding give it a softer feel.
- The sizes vary, but for the most popular size, queen, the dimensions are 80 X 60 x 13.5 and it weighs 48 pounds.
- There is a ten-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
Memory foam can be expensive. It makes you feel like your sinking into the soft mattress while still feeling supported. When you get off the bed, it springs back up. These tend to be best for lighter and average weight sleepers.
This mattress gives you the feel of a memory foam bed while being less expensive and offering more support. This means you will save money, while still getting a comfortable night’s sleep. It uses individually wrapped coils as well as several layers of foam, liners, and egg crate layers. This provides several different types of support for different sleepers. It is comfortable for lighter weight people but is more supportive for people who are mid-weight or higher, or need more back support when they sleep.
This bed goes a little further than most to give you the feel of memory foam without the cost. The top inch of the mattress is a “pillow top.” It’s very soft and has high-density foam layers. You can sink down into it a little just as you would with memory foam, but then there are the coils that provide firmer support. You will receive the softness from the pillow top while getting the benefits of the firmer mattress overall. Because it is on the firm side of the spectrum, it is great for back sleepers or slightly heavier individuals.
Overall customers loved the mattress and recommend it highly. However, there are always a few things to consider. Compared to other mattresses, it has a stronger odor when it comes out of the box, however, it will dissipate after a few days. Some reviewers felt the mattress sunk a little in the places where they slept, however, the vast majority of reviewers had no issue.
Product 2: Overview of Signature Design by Ashley
This mattress is a hybrid mattress with the cool gel memory foam and perimeter of single-wrapped coils for support. It is designed to give you both the comfort of memory foam and the support of the coils. It is a medium-firm mattress, and tries to strike a balance that will support people of all sizes and sleeping preferences. While it says firm in the product’s full title, the actual rating system provided categorizes it as a medium. The gel will adjust to the contours of the body, but the coils will protect the sleeper from too much sinking.
- This mattress is designed to be compatible with most bed frames.
- It is designed to be a hybrid mattress. On the perimeter are individually wrapped coils. Atop the coils is a gel memory foam for lumbar support and a high-density quilt foam topper.
- The outer layer is made from a fire-retardant fiber polyester.
- This mattress is hypoallergenic, which is designed to repel pet dander, mold, dust mites, and pollen. This is great if you suffer from allergies.
- The size varies, but the Queen size measures 60 X 79 X 10, and weighs 52 pounds.
Positive reviews of this mattress were absolutely glowing: some said it was the best mattress they’ve ever had and others said it was like sleeping on a firm marshmallow! Because the mattress is a medium-firm mattress, reviewers indicated that both they and their spouse appreciated it.
One spouse might have been a side sleeper, and another might have been a back sleeper, and because of this balance in firmness, both enjoy their sleep on this. People with asthma and allergies who tried this mattress after a regular one definitely found the hypoallergenic design to be beneficial and help with their breathing at night.
While the reviewers provided many different positives for the mattress, the complaints usually revolved around uneven decompression. However, those reviews were far outweighed by positive reviews. Just be sure to give the mattress the full time to decompress, or even an extra day to decompress fully.
Modway Jenna vs Signature Design by Ashley: Feature Comparison
|Signature by Ashley
|Sizes: Narrow Twin, Twin, Full, Queen, King, California King
|Sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, King, California King
|Isolated Motion – limiting bounce disturbance from other sleepers
|Dual comfort of foam and coils
|10 Year Warranty against manufacturer defects
|10 Year Warranty against manufacturer defects
|1700 Ratings at 4.5 Stars
|Amazon’s Choice and 7900 Ratings at 4.5 Stars
|Check Best Price
|Check Best Price
Which mattress to buy? It’s a tough decision!
Both of these are high-quality, high-value mattresses for a good price. They come with many positive ratings and reviews. They are designed for maximum comfort and a balance between the extremes of the firm and soft.
Your decision will come back to the original questions at the top of the article.
- They are both high-value and low-cost, with the prices very close together.
- Both mattresses come highly reviewed. But Ashley has nearly seven times the number of ratings the Modway Jenna does and is considered an “Amazon’s Choice.” Therefore the 4.5 rating carries more weight.
- The Modway Jenna is firmer than the Ashely. If you need more back support, the firmer mattress is a better option. If you sleep on your side, the softer mattress may be the best choice.
- If you suffer from allergies and other ailments, then you probably need a hypoallergenic mattress like Ashley.
- If you need a particularly small bed, the Modway Jenna has a “narrow twin” size.
Once you make determinations about these items, your choice should be clear. Hopefully, this article helped you. If you are really stuck between decisions, Ashley might be the way to go simply because it has so many more reviews and is more widely purchased. Whichever you choose, be sure to give it ample time to decompress and air out. You can find both of these at Amazon to learn more.